Saturday, December 19, 2015

Libation of the Day: Mackmyra Brukswhisky (The Swedish Whisky)


Name: Mackmyra Brukswhisky (The Swedish Whisky) 

Brand: Mackmyra


Country/Region of Origin: Kungsbäck, just outside Gävle, Sweden

Tasting Conditions: Room temperature, neat

Description: Mackmyra's core expression is a light Swedish whisky matured primarily in first fill bourbon barrels but also includes whisky aged in Sherry and Swedish oak casks too as well as some smokier malt, which all adds to the complexity.

Nose: Grassy, pine needles, fruity

Palate: Warm custard, berry, spicce

 
Finish: Smooth and sweet, with a hint of spice

Notes: So, I am back after an almost 2-year hiatus.  I bought a Whisky Advent Calendar from Master of Malt's Drinks by the Dram line.  I am pretty pedestrian in my single-malt choices (Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Dalwhinnie), so I decided to spend this holiday season trying new whiskies (and new wines, but I will post those after Christmas).  The advent calendar was pricey, but definitely cheaper than trying 25 whiskies at my local pub.

I rolled my eyes at the Swedish whiskey, but not the Japanese.  I wonder why that is, because this Brukswhisky was very good.  There were some wonderful fruity notes, and a "Northern" pine aroma that I haven't encountered in a whiskey before. 


No comments:

Post a Comment