Saturday, December 19, 2015

Libation of the Day: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood


Name: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood

Brand: The Balvenie


Country/Region of Origin: Dufftown, Scotland

Tasting Conditions: Room temperature, neat

Description: The Balvenie DoubleWood is a 12 year old single malt which gains its distinctive character from being matured in two wood types. Over the period of maturation it is transferred from a traditional oak whisky cask to a first fill European oak sherry cask. Each stage lends different qualities to the resulting single malt ~ the traditional casks soften and add character, whilst the sherry wood brings depth and fullness of flavor.

Nose:  Spice and raisins

Palate: Bourbon, vanilla, honey, fruit

 
Finish: Spices, sweet, honey

Notes: So, I am back after an almost 2-year hiatus.  I bought a Whisky Advent Calendar from Master of Malt's Drinks by the Dram line.  I am pretty pedestrian in my single-malt choices (Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Dalwhinnie), so I decided to spend this holiday season trying new whiskies (and new wines, but I will post those after Christmas).  The advent calendar was pricey, but definitely cheaper than trying 25 whiskies at my local pub.

This Double wood Balvenie was a complex and warm treat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment