Monday, December 7, 2015

Libation of the Day: Kilchoman Machir Bay 2014 Bottling


Name: Kilchoman Machir Bay 2014 Bottling

Brand: Kilchoman


Country/Region of Origin: Rockside Farm, Bruichladdich, Isle of Islay, Scotland 

Tasting Conditions: Room temperature, neat 

Description: A 14-year old Islay Single-malt

Palate: Raisins, fruit, citrus, nuttiness
 
Finish: More peat and smoke

Nose: PEAT! and smoke

Notes: So, I am back after an almost 2-year hiatus.  I bought a Whisky Advent Calendar from Master of Malt's Drinks by the Dram line.  I am pretty pedestrian in my single-malt choices (Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Dalwhinnie), so I decided to spend this holiday season trying new whiskies (and new wines, but I will post those after Christmas).  The advent calendar was pricey, but definitely cheaper than trying 25 whiskies at my local pub.  

My Scottish buddy always steered me away from the Islays.  Too peaty! he would say.  I myself always enjoyed Bowmore, but who doesn't?  I made the mistake of thinking that Bowmore was a peaty Scotch.  Then I tried Kilchoman Machir Bay.  Holy moley, this is peaty and smoky.  The flavor catches you by surprise, it is peaty, to be sure, but there is fruit and nutty flavors that rise up to the surface.  Then the peat and smoke smacks you in the face with the finish.  It's a nice whisky, to be sure, with a beautiful color and a strong personality.  But it's a sometimes single-malt.

No comments:

Post a Comment