Thursday, December 3, 2015

Libation of the Day: Compass Box Great King Street Artist's Blend


Name: Compass Box Great King Street Artist's Blend

Brand: Compass Box


Country/Region of Origin: London

Tasting Conditions: Room temperature, neat 

Description: A blended Scotch Whisky from the Artist's at Compass Box

Flavor:  Sweet, rich, apples, raisins
 
Mouth-feel: Smooth with a hint of spicy/spiky notes

Aroma: Sweet, vanilla, fruity, berries

Notes: So, I am back after an almost 2-year hiatus.  I bought a Whisky Advent Calendar from Master of Malt's Drinks by the Dram line.  I am pretty pedestrian in my single-malt choices (Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Dalwhinnie), so I decided to spend this holiday season trying new whiskies (and new wines, but I will post those after Christmas).  The advent calendar was pricey, but definitely cheaper than trying 25 whiskies at my local pub.  

I tend to avoid blended whiskies.  I used to drink Dewer's every time I would go out.  But, once my friend Scott McDonald introduced me to single malts, I found blends to be akin to cheating.  Anyone can make a perfect, blended whisky: smooth, complex and wonderful.  But it take a master to make a perfect single malt.

That being said, the Compass Box Great King Street Artist's Blend is a really good blended whisky.  It is smooth on the palate and very, complex.  Sweet and fruity, with a fabulous finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment