Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fruit of the week: Starfruit


Name: Starfruit

Brand: Fresh from Flordia

Place of Purchase: HyVee Foods in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: USA

Price in Iowa: 99-cents each

Description: A long, five-lobed tube that looks like a star when sliced. Green to yellow with brown when ripe.

Flavor: Sour with a hint of sweet. The flowery aroma is barely detectable in the flavor.

Aroma: Citrus and flowers. I detected papaya and pomelo. Distinctive and lovely.

Texture/Mouth-feel: Sort of like an orange or grapefruit, with a crunchy skin on the outside.

Notes: I should have waited longer. It looked ripe to me, but the longer you let starfruit ripen, the sweeter and more flavorful it will get. I only waited three days after I got this baby home. You can smell the starfuit all through my kitchen, and it was driving me batty. It tasted okay. It could have tasted better: sweeter and more intense. Maybe I can pick up some more this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment