Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cheese of the week: Kasseri


Name: BelGioioso Kasseri

Place of Purchase: HyVee Foods in Ames, Iowa

Country of Origin: USA

Price in Iowa: $10.29/lb.

Milk: whole cow's milk

Processing: Cultured milk, enzymes and salt are mixed together, formed into a wheel, and aged for 4 months

Texture: Semi-soft

Color: pale yellow

Rind: Hard

Aroma: pungent and dairy

Taste: a mixture of Parmesan and Limburger

Mouth feel: firm, chewy

Notes: Greek kasseri, which I've had a few times at Cafe Northwest, is made from sheep's milk. I'm not sure if the cow's milk shift makes a difference, since I've only had the greek cheese warmed in a pastry. The fresh cheese is stinky! That pungent aroma carries over into the flavor. The firm, moist, chewy mouth-feel is very pleasurable. The photo at the top is a slice of the cheese that I've sauteed in olive oil with garlic and basil. The cooking brings out new flavors, with is probably why they melt it in flaming ouzo at the Cafe. I think that I'm going to take my leftovers and melt them across some Tayberry tarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment