Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fruit of the week: Pomelo


Name: Pomelo

Brand: Sunkist

Place of Purchase: HyVee Foods in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: USA

Price in Iowa: $1.59 each

Description: A gigantic green grapefruit. The rind is pretty thick, as are the membranes.

Flavor: sweet and tart, like a grapefruit but more sugary

Aroma: citrus

Texture/Mouth-feel: fresh and juicy

Notes: Fresh fruit! I got a fresh fruit this week. Not a dried/canned/jammed fruit! I wanted to try one of these ever since I found out what a two plants make a tangelo. Man! This thing is juicy. I bit into a section and sprayed my unsuspecting corgi. Luckily, it was sweet enough so she didn't mind. I would suggest buying these, when available, over grapefruits. But they do require a bit more effort to remove all of the membranes. They certainly would be superior for juicing.

1 comment:

  1. It's also the other ancestor of the grapefruit (along with the orange).

    ReplyDelete