Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cheese of the week: Port Salut


Name: Port Salut

Place of Purchase: Ulrich's Meat Market in Pella, Iowa

Country of Origin: France!

Price in Iowa: $13.69/lb

Milk: pasteurized cows milk

Processing: aged one month then rind is washed with color and brine

Texture: Soft

Color: pale cream with an orange rind

Rind: Washed

Aroma: very little, perhaps a very mild dairy

Taste: a very mild flavor, only the slightest hint of dairy

Mouth feel: like butter

Notes: This was an ok cheese with a great mouth feel. The Port Salut didn't have much flavor for me. It felt nice and creamy in my mouth, but that will only get you so far. Now my wife had a different experience with this cheese than I did. I don't know why, exactly, but she had had brother try it too and he had the same experience. They both detected a bitter aftertaste that I could not find, no matter how long I kept the cheese in my mouth. Now, the rind is washed with added annatto, but she's never told me that cheddar or colby was bitter, and they have tons of annatto.

All-in-all, this was a nice creamy cheese, but nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment