Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cheese of the week: Quark Cheese

Name: Quark or Qvark cheese

Brand: Prairie Delight

Place of Purchase: Wheatsfield Co-op in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Milton Creamery in Milton, IA

Price in Iowa: $6.78/lb

Milk: pasteurized cow milk

Processing: Rennet is added, followed by lactobacteria, until a specific acidity is reached

Texture: soft

Color: white

Rind: None

Aroma: mild diary

Taste: mild diary with sweet and tart overtones, similar to chevre

Mouth feel: creamy/grainy, similar to a dry ricotta

Notes:I saw this cheese at my local organic co-op and I pounced on it. I'm running low on new cheeses, and at this point I'll try anything. Quark cheese is a fresh cheese common all across Eastern Europe. This cheese is used on sandwiches, in desserts, and stuffed into pasta pouches. I just ate it on some crackers. The cheese has a nice, tart flavor. I'll bet it would be fantastic in both sweet and savory dishes. Since I have a half-pound of it, I'm going to try and make some Käsekuchen (German cheesecake) as well as some Vareniki (Ukrainian pierogis).

2 comments:

  1. I love working with that Quark. Also, a great group of people produce it. They are the same ones that make that Prairie Breeze white cheddar and a swiss. I think the prairie breeze won a big award. I tried it, too. OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slaphappy--

    Thanks for the comment. What recipes have you tried with Quark?

    TC

    ReplyDelete