Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Cheese of the week: Pyrenees Centenol


Name: Pyranees Centenol

Brand: None listed

Place of Purchase: Wheatsfield Organic Co-op in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: France

Price in Iowa: $10.99/lb

Milk
: pasteurized cow's milk

Processing
: cow's milk is scalded, cut & pressed into molds and aged for at least 21 days. Texture: semi-firm with tiny holes

Color
: golden cream

Rind
: Inedible, natural.

Aroma
: mild but prevalent dairy, woody

Taste
: buttery, and warm & nutty; with subtle sweet and tart undertones

Mouth feel
: creamy and rich

Notes
: I saw this Basque cheese at the co-op and I jumped at it. Just like my fruits, I am quickly running out of unique cheese choices for this blog. The crusty, woody, sticky rind scared me a bit, so I looked up serving standards to make sure I didn't eat it incorrectly. So long as I steered clear of the rind, I would be okay. This cheese had a wonderful texture coupled with a mild, nutty flavor. There was a bit of dairy aftertaste, but it was almost unnoticeable. The texture of this cheese is what makes it a winner in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment