Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fruit of the Week: Tangelo


Name: Tangelo

Brand: Minneola (I'm pretty sure that's the variety)

Place of Purchase: Hy Vee Foods, Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Peru

Price in Iowa: This one cost me 59 cents

Description: A juicy orange with a nipple.

Flavor: A slightly sour orange.

Aroma: citrus, tangerine

Texture/Mouth-feel: super juicy citrus

Notes: I decided to search REALLY hard for a fruit this week. I don't want week after week to be filled with preserves. So, I opted for the tangelo. I'd never had one before, but I had seen them in the produce aisle. Minneola tangelos are hybrids of tangerines and grapefruits. Tangelos are intentionally (or accidentally) bred for their mild flavor and high juice production. Imagine a grapefruit that isn't super sour. These fruits are BIG and juicy. I might pick up a few more and pull the unitasker juicer out of storage...

No comments:

Post a Comment