Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fruit of the Week: The apple-pear


Name: Apple-pear or Asian pear

Brand: I don't think that "Crunchy and Sweet" is a brand name, but that's what the sticker said.

Place of Purchase: Dahl's in Ankeny, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: I believe that the cultivar I bought was a Shinko, which was first cultivated in Japan.

Price in Iowa: $1.39 each

Description: A gigantic golden apple.

Flavor: Sweet and crisp, woody, Apple-y.

Aroma: Fresh, flowery and woody.

Texture/Mouth-feel: Firm and slightly grainy, like a pear, but with a very small stone.

Notes: Honestly, the best "apple" I've ever had. It was crisp, it had a great flavor and strong, but not overpowering sweetness. I've had better pears, though. The flavor profile isn't as complex as a European pear. It was gigantic, though (about 7-inches in diameter).

I'm not sure where this pear came from. They do grow them in the Northwest, but it could have easily come from Japan or Korea. It seems that they are always shipped in little Styrofoam dresses, too. Probably to keep them looking pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment