Thursday, August 9, 2012

Libation of the week: Ithaca Soda Company Root Beer

Name: Ithaca Soda Company Root Beer



Place of Purchase: IGA in Hannibal, NY


Country/Region of Origin: USA


Tasting Conditions: Chilled in the bottle


Price in New York: $1.69 for 12 oz.


Description:  A Natural Soda of the Finger Lakes

Flavor:  A robust, rooty blend with a metallic aftertaste.


Mouth-feel: Effervescent with a decent head.


Aroma:  Woody and sweet.

Notes:  From the label, this soda looked like it would be a real treat.  Cane sugar sweetened.  Panama bark extract with hops, star anise, juniper and vanilla.  Not exactly a root beer, but a nice blend of flavors.

I drank it out of the bottle and got a snoot of stainless steel with my first sip.  I poured it into a glass, and while I could taste the beautiful melange of flavors, it was overpowered by metal.  I'm hoping that it was the bottle cap, but there are some sodas brewed in metal vats that pick up the taste of the container.  Maybe if I tried this one draft-style?

Disappointing...

No comments:

Post a Comment