Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cheese of the Week: Saint Agur





Name: Saint Agur

Brand: Saint Agur is crafted by the Beauzac cheese dairy in Velay

Place of Purchase: Wegman's in Liverpool, NY

Country of Origin: USA

Price in New York: $20.49/lb.

Milk: Cow with added cream (up to 60% butterfat)

Processing: Double-cream cheese cooked and aged at least 60 days

Texture: soft

Color: bone-white with green veining

Rind: Natural, typically wrapped in foil (mine was sliced)

Aroma: mild dairy, earthy, bleu-notes

Taste: Spikey/sharp bleu notes, but not overpowering.  Cream.

Mouth-feel: Creamy and buttery

Notes: I have an extreme fondness for bleus.  I believe that my severe penicillin allergy gives these cheeses an extra tingle that other eaters might miss.  I suppose bleu cheeses are my fugu.  So be it.  This double-cream bleu is luxurious, with a consistent and creamy paste.  The 60-day aging process gives the cheese a few dairy notes to match the buttery flavors, but this cheese is mostly about the bleu.  The sharp bleu notes are precise and prickly, but not super pungent.  This isn't one of those cheeses that make you stink for the rest of the day.  As spicy as this cheese is, it has a pleasant and delicate aftertaste.

Summer is here and my teaching duties have passed.  Sorry about the extended hiatus, but I just didn't have the time or inclination to post over the past school year.  To anyone who is still reading, I apologize.  Hopefully, I can make it up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment