Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cheese of the Week: Hard Chhurpi Cheese

Name: Chhurpi

Brand: None listed

Place of Purchase:

Country of Origin: Nepal

Price in New York: $1.99 for what you see here

Milk: Yak buttermilk

Processing: Cook, add acidic fruit juice, press out whey, squish under rocks, smoke over stone oven.

Texture: rock-solid

Color: Red, beige, tan, all over the map with my pieces alone.

Rind: Natural, basket-weave

Aroma: mild dairy

Taste: Strong, sour dairy

Mouth-feel: Ever lick a brick?

Notes: OK, since I started this adventure I have tried cheeses that I did not prefer.  Some cheeses I would definitely seek out again, while others I would not.  This is the first cheese that I really did not like.  I may have been expecting something sweet.  Maybe something sour?  What I got was a rock that tasted like sour milk.  Now, if I was starving in the Himalayas, I would happily suck on this protein brick until it became soft enough to swallow.  I might hit it with a hammer first, but I'd eat it to survive.  But I wouldn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment