Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cheese of the week: Marieke Gouda Burning Melange

Name: Burning Melange Gouda


Place of Purchase: Wheatsfield Co-op in Ames, Iowa

Country of Origin:  Wisconsin, USA

Price in Iowa: $14.70/lb

Milk: raw cow

Processing: Gouda with added stinging nettle and other spices

Texture: semi-hard

Color: pale cream with big holes

Rind: wax and basket-weave

Aroma: Sharp dairy

Taste: sharp, umami, subtle onion and vegetable aromatics

Mouth feel: firm and rich, with a tingling feeling

Notes: This is kind of a neat cheese.  As a gouda, it's pretty top notch for an American cheese.  But the addition of onions and chives adds a richness to the cheese that I really liked.  The spices weren't overpowering, they just added to the experience.  Then, there's the stinging nettle.  It added a tingling, metallic flavor that lingered and was very pleasurable.  I finished my last piece 10-minutes ago and I'm still tingling.  I'm not sure if this qualifies as unique or just a neat trick, but I like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment