Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cheese of the week: Le Chimay à la bière

Name: Le Chimay à la bière

Brand: Chimay

Place of Purchase: QFC in Bellevue, WA

Country/Region of Origin: Belgium

Price in Washington: $24.99/pound

Milk
: cow

Processing
: all I know is that it's aged for three months and bathed in beer made by Belgian Trappist monks


Texture
: semi-soft

Color
: cream to apricot

Rind
: Natural washed with beer made by the Trappist monks of Chimay

Aroma
: slightly stinky dairy

Taste:
dusky, strong aging like limberger, cream, salty, bitter (maybe hops?)

Mouth feel
: Soft, in-between a string cheese and a brie
 
Notes:  I got this cheese during a trip to Seattle.  My friends tell me that the Chimay beers and cheeses are very popular in the Northwest.  This cheese is very strong, capturing the most intense flavors found in an aged cheese and an artisan beer.  You can taste both cave and cask with this cheese.  I wouldn't recommend it to the casual fromageophile, but if you can appreciate the complexity of flavors of this very well-made Trappist cheese, then I think that you're in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment