Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Libations of the Week: Ski and Cheerwine


 Name: Ski
 
Brand: Double Cola Company

Place of Purchase: Some gas station in Joelton, TN
Full-screen

Country/Region of Origin: Tennessee, USA

Tasting Conditions: Chilled

Price in Iowa: $1.59

Description: a neon green, sparkling drink

Flavors: Sweet orange and sour lemon

Mouth-feel: Bubbly and acidic.

Aroma: Lemons and oranges

Notes: I had never heard of Ski, but it's apparently popular all over the Southeast and in Southern Illinois.  This stuff is pretty potent.  The natural sweet orange essence and lemon flavors create a unique citrus flavor that is very good when chilled.  However, either due to these flavors or the high caffeine content, this soda is very acidic.  It started to make my cheeks tingle, so I stopped drinking the bottle halfway through.  Still, it wok me up and had a great flavor profile.



Name: Cheerwine
 
Brand: Carolina Beverage Company

Place of Purchase: Some gas station in Brunswick, GA
Full-screen

Country/Region of Origin: USA

Tasting Conditions: Chilled

Price in Iowa: $2.50

Description: a bright red carbonated beverage

Flavors: Short-lived cherry flavor followed by metallic/mineral notes

Mouth-feel: Very bubbly

Aroma: Cherries and berries

Notes: I was pretty excited to get my hands on some Cheerwine.  This mystical Southern libation has achieved legendary status in my mind.  I was lucky to find the glass-bottled variety, which is sweetened with cane sugar.  Unfortunately, Cheerwine isn't that great.  The cherry flavors, while intense, only lasted a few moments.  Then I was left with a mouthful of red, carbonated, North Carolina-flavored water.  I think I prefer the mouth-burn of Ski.

No comments:

Post a Comment