Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fruit of the week: Ackee


Name: Jamaican Ackees

Brand: Nature Farms

Place of Purchase: Lucky Dragon (Ting's) Grocery in Des Moines, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Jamaica
Price in Iowa: $9.95 for 540 grams

Description: Weird.  Imagine a can full of runny scrambled eggs.

Flavor: Salty with floral and asparagus notes, with an allium aftertaste.

Aroma: Asparagus and grass

Texture/Mouth-feel: Soft and runny in the brine.  The fruit pieces themselves were very yielding, like tofu.

Notes: I will admit that this fruit scared the crap out of me.  Not only does it look like scrambled eggs in a can, but improperly prepared ackee fruits are toxic.


So, I ate a little.  And it was good.  I think that you need to do something savory with this fruit, though.  For example, salt fish and ackees is the national dish of Jamaica.  So, tomorrow night I'm going to slice up some tomatoes, onions and peppers and mix them with ackees.  Then, I'm going to pour them over a nice piece of cod.


I expect good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment