Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cheese of the week: Prima Donna maturo

Name: Prima Donna maturo (formaggio con passione)

Brand: Van der Sterre

Place of Purchase: Cub Foods in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Holland

Price in Iowa: $19.99/lb.

Milk: Cow

Processing: similar to Gouda, with a lower fat content, 12 months of aging

Texture: firm

Color: pale cream

Rind: natural

Aroma: sharp dairy

Taste: mix of Parmesan/Romano and gouda, light, sharp and nutty.

Mouth feel: slightly dry, firm, not chewy, crunchy protein crystals

Notes: I guess I splurged when I bought the maturo, but I'm glad I did. A trend that I've found in many of these extra-aged cheeses is the protein crystals. They add a crunch to the dry paste, but they also add little pops of flavor. This cheese deserves to be served all by itself. It'sunique flavor and mouthfeel require your full attention

No comments:

Post a Comment