Thursday, September 5, 2013

Libation of the week: Hawthorn Berry Drink

Name: Hawthorn Berry Drink

 
BrandAsian Taste

Place of Purchase: Asian Supermarket in Syracuse, NY

Country/Region of Origin: China

Tasting Conditions: Chilled in a glass 

Price in New York: $1.99 for 500mL

Description: Hawthorn berry drink is pretty much the only English on the can besides the Nutritional information sticker.

Flavor:  Slightly smokey, tangy, reminiscent of sweet orange and plum
 
Mouth-feel: Like a nectar, thick but without pulp

Aroma: Smokey, like barbeque or huitlacoche

Notes: This can sat in my fridge for a while.  I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was hesitant.  When I finally opened the can and got my first waft of the smokey aroma, I was taken aback.  Still, I poured and sipped.  The smokey flavor is not as strong as the aroma, but it is still present in the juice.  The fruity flavors in the juice are a citrus tang and a warm plum or peach.  Overall, it's a nice drink, once you get past the aroma.

Considering that hawthorn berries are considered very heart-healthy and may help to alleviate ulcers, there may be other reasons to seek out this drink beyond the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment