Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Libation of the week: The Sam Adams Milkshake

Name: The Samuel Adams Milkshake
 
Brand: Red Robin

Place of Purchase: Red Robin in Fayetteville, NY

Country/Region of Origin: Boston?

Tasting Conditions: Chilled in a glass, topped with whipped cream and caramel

Price in New York: $4.99 for around a pint

Description:  Red Robin says "Trust us."

Flavor:  Creamy, hoppy, tart, sweet
 
Mouth-feel: Frothy.  The Sam Adams glass provides a continuous flow of evervescence to the creamy drink

Aroma: Milky caramel and hops.

Notes: I want to begin by saying that I enjoy Red Robin.  For a franchise restaurant, they make excellent burgers.  Their restaurants have a pleasant, family-friendly atmosphere.  I was pretty excited when I heard about their Octoberfest specials, including the Sam Adams milkshake.  I thought that this was a stroke of genius.  Why hasn't anyone thought of this before.  I love beer.  I love milkshakes.

When I arrived at Red Robin, the Sam Adams milkshake was not on the menu.  Still, being an informed consumer I knew what I came for.  I ordered it.  It came to the table.  I drank it.  It was gross.  

Of course someone has come up with the beer milkshake.  It was probably invented at the same time as the egg cream, the root beer float and the brown cow.  Unfortunately, beer adds too much tartness and too much foam to an ice cream drink.  The milkshake was sour and intensely hoppy and had enough fizz to give me a stomach-ache.

I will give Red Robin props for trying.  I will also give them props for having the foresight to remove this item from their menu.  It just was not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment