Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cheese of the week: Irish Whiskey Cheddar

Name: Irish Whiskey Cheddar

Brand: Cahill's
 
Place of Purchase:  HyVee Foods in Ames, Iowa

Country of Origin: Ireland

Price in Iowa: $11.99/lb

Milk: Cow

Processing: A monastery-style cheddar mingled with Kilbegga's whiskey.

Texture: Semi-firm

Color: cream-yellow

Rind: Natural waxed

Aroma: Sharp, salty dairy

Taste: Musty, acrid, bitter

Mouth feel: A solid cheddar paste

Notes:I'm not sure about the flavor profile of this cheese.  The freshness shouldn't be suspect, since I grabbed it the day my cheesemonger sliced the wheel, but it is Summer and something may have happened to the cheese on the way home.  Regardless, whiskey is a high proof alcohol with a low-water content.  Cheese is a mix of fat and protein, both soluble in alcohol.  I was surprised that this cheese held together at all, but it's no wonder that there is a bitter flavor.  Not my favorite, and I bought a few more Cahill's with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment