Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cheese of the week: Sage Derby

Name: Sage Derby

Brand: none listed

Place of Purchase: Wheatsfield Organic Co-op in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: UK

Price in Iowa: $13.57/pound

Milk
: cow

Processing
:

Texture
: semi-firm

Color
: pale yellow with green veining

Rind
: Natural

Aroma
:  mild dairy with herbal notes

Taste:
luscious and complex herbal bouquet

Mouth feel
: a nice semi-firm, chewy pate
 
Notes: I've had the Port Derby before, and that was nice with sweet and tart notes.  The Sage Derby immediately reminded me of the flavors from a nice roasted chicken or quail.  There were the quiet, meaty notes of the derby, but the sage blossomed in my mouth and just exploded with memories of herb-roasted bird.  I'm not sure what to pair this with.  I've seen recipes that use it with turkey or chicken sandwiches.

So, that's what I'll be having for lunch tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment