Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Libation of the week: Maine Root Sarsaparilla

Name: Maine Root Sarsaparilla 
Brand: Maine Root

Place of Purchase: Wheatsfield Co-op in Ames, IA

Country/Region of Origin: Portland, Maine

Tasting Conditions: Chilled in the bottle

Price in Iowa: $2.59

Description: a light, foamy root beer

Flavors: minty, woody, anise, and of course sarsaparilla  

Mouth-feel: Very light and foamy, probably the most delicate root beer I've had

Aroma: Sweet sarsaparilla  

Notes: Maine Root is a beverage company that stresses simple ingredients with a green outlook.  They have several beverages listed on their website, but the Co-op only had the Sarsaparilla, which is fine with me.  I grew up in Western New York, and the Northeast is famous for its old world soft drinks.  My son loves getting real birch beer when we go to visit my folks.  I've had a lot of sarsaparilla drinks in my day, and most of them have been too heavy or too sweet.  This beverage is not sticky or cloying.  It has a light, robust headiness and a clean, spicy flavor.  If you can find it, I highly suggest trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment