Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cheese of the week: Cheddar with Carmalized Onion Marmalade

Name: Cheddar with Carmalized Onion Marmalade

Brand: Somerdale

Place of Purchase: Wheatsfield Organic Co-op in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Taunton, Somerset, UK

Price in Iowa: $14.10/pound

Milk
: pasteurized cow

Processing
: cheddar processing with the addition of carmelized onion marmalade and other spices.

Texture
: firm

Color
: ochre

Rind
: none on piece

Aroma
: sweet cream, fruity, mild dairy

Taste:
smoky, fried onion, sharp dairy, tart and piquant backnotes

Mouth feel
: A nice, firm cheddar.
 
Notes: I love this cheese!  I love this cheese!  I love this cheese!  With the number of cheeses that I eat every month, I rarely go back to the store for seconds.  I would buy this cheese every week, if I could.  BUT, I can't.  It's a seasonal selection, released in the Fall season, and is only available through Christmas.  I actually bought my local organic co-op out of this cheese (but I don't care, because it's that good).  Hopefully, it's still early enough to get some more.



The onion marmalade does not add a sweetness to the cheddar.  The sweetness is coming from the cheese itself.  The marmalade does add wonderful smoky and spice flavors that are unexpected and fantastic.  I have eaten this cheese plain, shredded over salad, melted over fish, melted inside a burger (a la a Jucy Lucy).  If I find more, I'm going to try it over chili and then make a variant of French Onion soup.




www.somerdale.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment