Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Libation of the Week: Inca Kola

Name: Inca Kola "the Golden Kola"
 
Brand: Coca Cola Co.

Place of Purchase: Pamell Grocery in Ames, IA
Full-screen

Country/Region of Origin: Peru

Tasting Conditions: Chilled and bottled

Price in Iowa: $1.69

Description: a frothy, golden brew

Flavors: Cream, vanilla, mediciney undertones

Mouth-feel: Bubbly

Aroma: Vanilla and fruity

Notes: I was trying the falafel gyro at the Pamell Grocery when I spotted this drink in the cooler.  There were plenty of new fruit juices from India to try, but this attractive cola drink caught my eye.  I took my first sip before I started eating my sandwich (which was delicious, but very, very garlicy).  The first hit was cream soda: light, frothy and cream-flavored.  My second sip revealed some of the more astringent and medicinal tones.  I found out later that the cola was flavored with Lemon Verbena, which probably created this flavor profile.  I enjoyed it with my meal, but to me it was just a unique cream soda.  In Peru and other parts of South America, it is the number one soft drink, pushing out Coke and Pepsi.  So, if you get the chance, try an Inca Golden Kola.


No comments:

Post a Comment