Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fruit of the Week: Mangosteen


Name: Mangosteen (canned in syrup)

Brand: Lamthong

Place of Purchase: Double Dragon Market in Des Moines, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Thailand
Price in Iowa: $1.89 for 8.1 ounces of fruit

Description: Beige, sectional, meaty orbs

Flavor: Tart citrus, peaches, sweet flowery notes 

Aroma: Flowery, with a blunt spicy scent

Texture/Mouth-feel: Sectional, like an orange, but with a single large seed in each section.

Notes: My wife, who has had the fresh fruit, tells me that the canned fruit are unripe.  Which makes sense because the ripe fruits must be eaten right away.  They can not be transported.  So, if I want "the Queen of Fruits" I will either have to go to Southeast Asia or find some unripe fruits and wait wait wait.  The canned ones weren't bad.  I liked them.

Again, I have to apologize about my sideways image.  I rotate it in Photoshop, but the rotation doesn't stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment