Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fruit of the Week: Mulberry

Name: Mulberry

Brand: God made these

Place of Purchase: The park in my backyard in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: Ames, Iowa
Price in Iowa: FREE

Description: Dark purple , multiple fruit

Flavor: Meaty, sweet, tart 

Aroma: Slightly rosy

Texture/Mouth-feel: Firm, juicy, meaty

Notes: I was out walking my Corgis when I saw that the mulberry trees were in bloom.  These plants are treated like weeds in Iowa.  The birds love them, but most people don't realize that they produce delicious fruits.  The just get angry at the purple-stained sidewalks.  Farm families will collect and preserve these fruit, if they can beat the birds to them, but if you want to eat the fresh fruit you're going to need your own tree.  These fruits are a favorite of my wife, because she's named after them.



No comments:

Post a Comment