Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cheese of the week: Wensleydale


Name: Wensleydale

Brand: Tuxford and Tebbutt

Place of Purchase: Ames British Foods in Ames, Iowa

Country/Region of Origin: The T&T headquarters is in Leicestershire , but the fields of Wensleydale are in Yorkshire.

Price in Iowa: $13/lb.

Milk
: pasteurized cow

Processing
: cow's milk from the fields of Wensleydale are used to make this crumbly, sweet cheese.

Texture
: semi-hard

Color
: pale yellow

Rind
: no rind on my piece

Aroma
: clean dairy

Taste
: sweet and milky

Mouth feel
: crumby and moist
 
Notes: I'm working my way through the cheeses at the Ames British Foods store now.  Wensleydale is typically served as a dessert cheese and is often paired with fruits.  In fact, there were blueberry and cranberry varieties available, but I went with the natural variety.  I liked this cheese.  I think I'll get some fresh blueberries and finish off the rest of this cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment