Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Libation of the WEEK: Youngberry Juice

Name: Youngberry Juice

Brand: Ceres

Place of Purchase: Cub Foods, Ames, Iowa

Full-screen

Country/Region of Origin: The Ceres Valley in South Africa.

Tasting Conditions: Chilled, with whisky stones.

Price in Iowa: $4.99

Description: A burgundy-red juice.

Flavor: Different than blackberries (not as sweet). Not as tart as raspberries. Floral and coppery flavors.

Mouth-feel: More of a nectar than a juice. A thicker, more luxurious texture.

Aroma: Flowery, with deep meaty (like a beefsteak tomato) notes

Notes: Unfortunately, I can not find fresh fruit to save my life. My neice, who lives in Hawaii, was supposed to bring me something, but I haven't seen her yet. Hopefully, that will pan out. Otherwise, I'll send her back with money and have her ship something to me. Until then, we're stuck with my limited fruit juice options. If I can't get something new in three weeks, I'm moving on to booze, again.

Youngberries (
Rubus ursinus cv. Young) are a cross between blackberries and dewberries (which are blackberries country cousins). This hybrid was created in the early 1900s in order to make a hardier blackberry. The result is a fruit with a mild sweetness and the complex flavor profile of the Rubus berries. It was an excellent libation after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment