Friday, September 4, 2009

Libation of the month: Guanabana nectar

Name: Guanabana (or Soursop) Nectar

Brand: Jumex

Place of Purchase: Pammel Grocery, Ames, Iowa

Full-screen

Country/Region of Origin: Product of Mexico

Tasting Conditions: Cold and straight out of the can.

Price in Iowa: $1.59

Description: I resembles thick pineapple nectar, with fruit pulp added.

Flavor: Very sweet with a mild latex aftertaste. The pulp didn't add much to the flavor. A few minutes after I finished the can, I began to detect a soapy finish that lingered for a while.

Mouth-feel: Thick and creamy. The pulp didn't bring much to the mouth feel, either. Imagine adding flavorless coconut to a sweet nectar.

Aroma: faint hints of citrus: guava, mango and pineapple.

Notes: The guanabana or soursop fruit is very popular in Latin America and the Philippines. You can eat the fruit plain after it ripens, but it is usually used to make juice, aqua frescas, candies, ice cream/sorbet, and other goodies. Something interesting that I discovered is that it is the fruit of an evergreen. Granted, I also learned that most tropical rainforest trees are technically evergreens. It is also a relative of the paw-paw, or prairie banana (which comes into season next week).

I will admit that the latex aftertaste and the soapy finish did not impress me. Also, considering that the guanabana contains a chemical that is linked with brain lesions, I might pass on trying this nectar a second time.


No comments:

Post a Comment