Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fruit of the Week: Elderberry


Name: Elderberry

Brand: local from Central Iowa

Place of Purchase: DeMoss Pumpkin Farm in Ames, Iowa.

Country/Region of Origin: native to everywhere, but especially found near Camelot.

Product Origin: USA

Price in Iowa: The berries were free, but the jam cost me $5.

Description: Blue-black berries with a single seed grow in a cluster on woody branches.

Flavor: berry--tart, with notes of metal and astringent, similar to blackberry; jam--sweeter, obviously, and the metallic/astringent flavor is weakened in the preserves.

Aroma: similar to blackberry and blueberry.

Texture: firm flesh; the majority of the berry is skin.

Mouth-feel: the seed takes up a lot of space, and be careful if you plan on spitting them out; the juice stains.

Notes: People all over the world have been eating elderflowers and elderberries forever. The flowers can be added to salads, used to make tea or supposedly deep-fat fried in batter. Typically, the berries are dried to preserve them and then they are used later to make beverages, jams and syrups. Birds and squirrels eat them fresh off of the tree. Looking for the full experience, I found myself an elder tree and munched a few. The tiny berries are packed with flavor, and very sweet, but they are also overpoweringly sour and gave me a bad case of cottonmouth.

The jam was much better. I tried it on some fresh rolls, and then I added cream cheese and found perfection. The jam turned up the natural sweetness of the fruit, and downplayed the tartness. I saw some local elderberry wine out at the Amana Colonies. If I get my hands on that, I'll update and post my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment